- 1st prize: £100, a year’s membership of the BFS, and publication in the BFS journal
- 2nd prize: £50, a year’s membership of the BFS, and publication in the BFS journal
- 3rd prize: £20
- Open to entries from 1 January 2011 to 31 May 2011
- Our reading panel will then read the entries from June to August
- The top-scoring stories will then be passed on to our judging panel
- The winners will be announced at the British Fantasy Awards ceremony in September
- Any kind of fantastical story is welcome. For example, fantasy, science fiction, horror, supernatural, fabulation, magic realism, slipstream, etc, or indeed any combination of those genres
- The competition is open to both members and non-members of the society, but non-members must pay a £5 entry fee
- Stories must not exceed 5,000 words
- Multiple entries are welcome, but only one free entry per BFS member
- Judging is anonymous, so stories should not have been previously published
- The decision of the judging panel will be final
- Double-spaced text
- Left and right hand margins of at least 2cm
- 12pt font
- First line of paragraphs indented
- Pages numbered, but no other text in the footer or header
- Section breaks (ellipses) should be indicated by a single hash mark (#)
- No mention of the author’s name, address or other details
- If you know how, scrub your name from the File Properties
Entries should be submitted by email.
- Head your email “BFS Short Story Competition”
- Attach your story as an rtf file
- In the body of the email give your name, title of the story, the word count and details of membership/payment
- Format the document according to the guidelines given above.
- Send to: email@example.com.
If you are not a BFS member, or if you are a BFS member entering a second story, there is a £5 fee per entry. You can pay by PayPal:
Or by cheque, payable to “The British Fantasy Society”. Send to: BFS Short Story Competition,
We no longer accept story submissions on paper, due to the amount of additional work involved in scanning them and sending them on to our readers. However, if you are unable to email your entry, please put it on a CD and post it to: BFS Short Story Competition, 3 Tamworth Close, Lower Earley, Berks. RG6 4EQ, UK. Include a covering letter with your name and address, title of the story, word count and details of payment/BFS membership, and if you require acknowledgment of receipt please enclose an SAE.