Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards: Small Press & PS Publishing  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
British Fantasy Awards: Small Press & PS Publishing
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:09 AM »
In case you haven't heard, PS Press are withdrawing from the British Fantasy Award's Small Press category. They will also offer a cash award to future winners. They have released a press release, which I have copied onto my blog: http://piperatthegatesoffantasy.blogspot.com/

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: British Fantasy Awards: Small Press & PS Publishing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »
What a lovely gesture from Pete Crowther! He is a nice chap.

I've recently had first-hand experience of what a hell of a task publishing can be. While it's not on anything like the scale of some of you guys who run your own small presses, I've just spent the last few months being more heavily involved than I'd intended in getting the latest issue of Pantechnicon in print (or, rather, on screen - as it's an ezine). I now know just what an incredible effort this involves - and I must say I don't fancy doing it again!  :o

So, hats of to those of you who run small presses, and hats off to Pete Crowther for (a) turning his small press into a pretty big one and (b) helping to support others in doing the same. That's what I love about the way the small presses work together - no competition, no cut-throat business - just working together for the sake of the genre and the people involved in it. Brilliant!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
It's a really wonderful and generous gesture. 250 counts for an awful lot with a small press.

ChrisT

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »
Tell me about it - 250 would've paid the bar-bill for the We Fade to Grey launch last year. :o

Must admit, this news was quite a surprise - PS has been the bench-mark by which the competition (such has myself) have been measured against. The fact Pete & Co have won every year (except one) goes to show that PS must be doing something right, and far from being a sign of envy on my part, it's especially gratifying that even in such lean times the business continues to grow...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
It would pay my entire production costs for two years...   :D