Author Topic: Matt Hughes  (Read 32936 times)

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make it to WFC
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »
If anyone's looking for me at World Fantasy Convention in Brighton, I'm afraid I won't be there. I broke an ankle in two places in late September and that makes international travel just impossible.

It's starting to seem like this convention is cursed, with so many dropping out for one reason, or another. At least you're still alive though. :)

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make it to WFC
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
At least you're still alive though. :)

Which I find to be a great comfort.

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
"Sleeper" now in Lightspeed's November issue
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
"Sleeper," the second episode in the serialized novel The Kaslo Chronicles is now appearing in Lightspeed Magazine.  Hardboiled confidential operative Erm Kaslo is drawn deeper into the machinations of a clutch of proto-wizards murderously competing with each other in anticipation of the universe's impending sudden shift from rational cause and effect to sympathetic association (i.e., magic).

The mag is donwloadable now as a $3.99 ebook, wherever epubs and mobis are sold.  Or you can wait until late in the month and read "Sleeper" for free on-line.

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/issues/nov-2013-issue-42-2/

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Couple of reviews in Locus Online
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
Lois Tilton reviews a couple of my short stories for Locus online. About "The Ugly Duckling," a Bradburyesque tale in Old Mars, the retro-anthology edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, she says,"The descriptions of the Martian ruins and the recordings of Martian life they hold are truly wondrous neat."

And then she looks at "Sleeper," the second episode in The Kaslo Chronicles, the science-fantasy novel I'm serializing in Lightspeed magazine.  She says, "The combination of character, setting, narrative voice and twisty plot make for the sort of entertaining tale that readers familiar with the author will expect . . ."

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2013/11/lois-tilton-reviews-short-fiction-mid-november-4/#ltsp201311

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Paul DiFilippo reviews Old Mars
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
As an author of unabashedly old-fashioned science fantasy, I like Paul DiFilippo's take on Old Mars, the retro-anthology of stories set in the "Mars of the mind" that existed before the Mariner probe began the cold, hard factual exploration of the red planet.

He poses a good question: "What is the relationship of the genre’s past to the present, actual and ideal? Should certain old-school tropes and themes be abandoned as false and inutile? Can we ever step in the same stream twice, and recapture glories and pleasures of old? Can postmodern approaches somehow lend a fresh aspect to the antique? Are attitudes toward such SF strictly determinable and predictable by membership in a given generation? Is the medium stagnating or advancing by continuing to create such stories?"

Advancing, I'd say. The mileage of others may, however, vary.  The full review is here.
http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2013/11/paul-di-filippo-reviews-old-mars/

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
2nd episode of serialized science-fantasy novel Kaslo Chronicles online
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
"Sleeper," the second episode in the serialized novel, The Kaslo Chronicles, is now available for free reading online at Lightspeed Magazine. Erm Kaslo is a hardboiled confidential operative in the far-future civilization of The Ten Thousand Worlds.

In the first episode, "And Then Some," he was hired to help wealthy magnate Diomedo Obron deal with a con man, and discovered that there might be some basis to Obron's belief that the operating principle of the universe will soon switch from rationalism to magic.

Now, returning from another assignment, he gets interested when the space liner he's traveling on stops to pick up an interstellar hitchhiker who turns out to be dying of an incurable disease.  And, once more, magic slips into Kaslo's life.

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/sleeper/

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Hapthorn Tales #1 on Amazon (free Kindle download)
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
As of this morning, Italian time, my self-pubbed science-fantasy ebook, 9 Tales of Henghis Hapthorn, is ranked as the number-one Amazon free Kindle download.  In the past fifteen hours, the title has been downloaded 12,782 times.  Plus another few hundred on Kobo and Smashwords.

It's as a result of giving BookBub -- http://www.bookbub.com/home/ --  US$80 for a promotion, emailed to their sf subscribers list (240,000 members, they say) as well as posted on their web page for the next week.

I'll now be interested to see what kind of result I get.  How many of those free-takers will come back and buy a $2.99 ebook?

I will report as I get more info.

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Busy, busy
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
I haven't updated here for a while, mainly because I've been inundated with work. So here's what's been happening:

I've sold three new episodes of The Kaslo Chronicles, the serialized novel that's running in Lightspeed Magazine. This is the story of Erm Kaslo, a hardboiled far-future "confidential operative" who hires on with a would-be wizard just as the universe's fundamental operating principle is about to switch from rational cause-and-effect to "sympathetic association" -- i.e., magic.

The third episode of the Kaslo saga, "His Elbow, Unkissed," is now running in the January issue of Lightspeed. If you want to read it right now, you can buy the ebook version of the whole issue. Or you can wait until January 14, when it will be posted on the online version of the magazine.

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/

Amazon Audible has produced audio-book versions of my 2005 short story collection, The Gist Hunter and Other Stories, as well as the first two Hapthorn novels, Majestrum and The Spiral Labyrinth. Amazon bought the audio rights from Skyhorse Books, which acquired them when it bought the original publisher, Nightshade Books. The rights to the third volume, Hespira, reverted to me. My agent will be talking to Amazon about getting something done. And I really ought to get Hespira out as a POD paperback, because the only dead-tree edition was the original Nightshade hardcover.

I've written another Raffalon novelette, "Prisoner of Pandarius," and sent it off to Gordon Van Gelder at The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. I hope he buys it, because I get a real kick out of appearing in the magazine Stephen King called, "the gold standard of American short fiction."

I've written two drafts of a screenplay of Transplant, a medical thriller by my friend, John A Elefteriades, MD, one of the world's foremost heart surgeons. Fingers crossed that the project strikes a chord in L.A.

I've edited a new edition of The Shards of Excalibur: Song of the Sword, a YA fantasy by the excellent Edward Willett, which will be out from Coteau Books in the spring. Ed combines Arthurian lore with contemporary urban fantasy to produce a gripping tale.

Next up: I have to proof the galleys of Old Growth, a mystery featuring my alter ego, Sid Rafferty. It's the long-delayed sequel to Downshift (1997) and is set against the background of British Columbhia's "The War in the Woods" when environmentalists and the forest industry went toe to toe on Vancouver Island. It will be published on March 1 by Five Rivers Publishing, which reprinted Downshift in 2012.

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Another sale to F&SF
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 11:22:41 AM »
I've sold a novelette to Gordon Van Gelder at The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction:  "Prisoner of Pandarius" is another episode in the adventures of my archetypal thief, Raffalon.  And, yes, there is wizardry involved.  I've teamed him up again with Cascor, the ex-cop turned wizard who came aboard in "Stones and Glass" in the Nov/Dec 2013 issue.

I think this represents my twenty-fifth sale to F&SF.  I'm starting to feel like a regular.

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Third episode of The Kaslo Chronicles free online
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
"His Elbow, Unkissed," the third episode in the serialized novel, The Kaslo Chronicles, is now available for a free read online at Lightspeed Magazine.  Hardboiled confidential operative Erm Kaslo is trying to come to terms with the idea that the underlying rulebook of the universe is about to be rewritten, with rational cause-and-effect giving way to sympathetic association -- i.e., magic.

The two previous episodes in the novel, "And Then Some" and "Sleeper," are available in Lightspeed's archives.

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/his-elbow-unkissed/

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Hespira now in paperback
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
Hespira: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn, the third novel in the Hapthorn trilogy, is now available as a POD paperback.

Here's the blurb:

Hapthorn decides to leave Old Earth, seeking to solve the mystery of Hespira, an ungainly off-world woman who has lost her memory. The investigation takes him down The Spray to the rank-obsessed world of Ikkibal and the rustic Shannery, where he unravels Hespira's role in a deadly feud between aristocrats. But behind the scenes an unseen antagonist is plotting the discriminator's destruction.

At the moment, the paperback is only available in Amazon's CreateSpace estore, but in a week or so it will work its way through into the whole Amazon system. And at some point, probably weeks from now, you could actually walk into a bricks-and-mortar bookstore and order a copy.

I'd prefer it, though, if you bought it from CreateSpace, since they pay a far better royalty than I would receive after everybody else has taken a cut.

https://www.createspace.com/4623671

I want to thank my excellent book designer, Bradley W. Schenck, Hero of the Archonate, for producing such a fine piece of work.  http://www.webomator.com

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:38:15 AM by hapthorn »

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Rogues (Martin/Dozois antho) pub date moved up
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
The cross-genre anthology, Rogues, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, has had its release date moved up by the publisher, Bantam. It will now be in stores as of June 17, instead of the fall. My story in the antho is "The Inn of the Seven Blessings," a tale of Raffalon the thief and his uncomfortable relationship with a minor deity.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogues-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0345537262

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
The Compleat Guth Bandar
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
I've self-published all of the Guth Bandar stories that ran in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction a few years ago, including the Nebula-nominated novella, "The Helper and his Hero."

The stories were later assembled into a fix-up novel, The Commons, but these are the original texts that appeared in F&SF.

The Compleat Guth Bandar is available as a $2.99 ebook from Amazon, Kobo, Smashwords, and the Archonate bookstore.  http://www.matthewhughes.org/the-archonate-bookstore/

Here's the blurb: In Old Earth’s penultimate age, humanity’s collective unconscious has long since been fully explored and mapped by the noönaut scholars of the Institute for Historical Inquiry.  But something is threatening the integrity – perhaps even the very existence – of the noösphere, and aspiring academic Guth Bandar finds his career plans diverted by a collective unconscious that appears to be waking up.

Here's a link to one of the stories.  http://www.matthewhughes.org/a-little-learning/

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Judging for the British Fantasy Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
I've been asked to be on the jury for the British Fantasy Awards again, judging best fantasy novel, short story, collection, and anthology.  I'm looking forward to some interesting summer reading.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Hughes
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »
I didn't know you could be on the jury for more than one category.