Author Topic: Second Update from Acting Chair Graham Joyce  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Second Update from Acting Chair Graham Joyce
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:43 pm »
An Extraordinary General Meeting of the BFS will take place on Friday 9 December in London, ahead of the Open Evening at The Mug House, under Tower Bridge.   The meeting will start at 6.00pm.  The Open Evening will begin at 7.30.  Many people have expressed an interest in attending.  I will open a thread on the Forum or on the BFS Facebook page and I’d be grateful if you could indicate if you plan to come.  We may need to change the meeting venue and this will help us with numbers.  An agenda for the meeting will be posted here in advance.

It has been heartwarming to get the messages of support and the pledges of re-subscription to the Society.  A number of very fine people have stepped forward to offer their help and I’m conducting an inventory to see how we can best make use of the skills on offer.

On the Awards I’ve been flooded with detailed ideas about how we should change the way they are ordered (note to non-members: thank you for your interest though I’d be happier if you were prepared to subscribe before dispensing lengthy advice).   Nevertheless I will sift, consult and explore all ideas. I will then form a small working-group to come back with a recommendation.  Any new system will be honour-bound to deal with the current Fantasy-Horror imbalance.

Regarding the breakdown of this year’s Awards I have been asked what is being done.  Sam Stone publicly returned her award, so I contacted the shortlisted authors to ask if they wanted me to examine the ballot to make a re-award.  All the shortlisted authors indicated they would prefer this not to happen and that they would prefer no award to be given.  Therefore this year the record will indicate *NO AWARD*.  There is uncertainty about whether Sam Stone returned the Short Story Award at the same time as the Novel award.  Identical conditions applied in both categories so I am assuming this to be the case unless I am told otherwise.  Regarding all the awards received by the Telos imprint I have received no information, therefore all these awards stand as announced.  I hope we can now consider the matter of this year’s awards CLOSED.

We are lucky indeed to have the service of Del-Lakin Smith to maintain our web presence.  The committee has commissioned Del to set up an online database and subscription point, which will relieve the Membership Secretary of much paperwork.  Debbie Bennett has done fantastic ‘invisible’ work on this over the years, and before she steps down Debbie is working with Del to set up this technology.

Change is afoot, too, for the BFS journal.   New Horizons is to be rested after Andrew Hook’s terrific work.  Reviews are to transfer from Prism to a fully-linked online venue.  Prism will be dedicated to non-fiction articles about the genre and will merge with Dark Horizons.

STOP PRESS! In the next journal best-selling Heroic Fantasy author James Barclay will launch a series of Masterclass articles with “How To Write a Fight!”  James, widely acclaimed for his expertise in the staging of combat scenes will distil for us some his knowledge and experience.  This series, exclusive to members of the BFS, will offer writing insights invaluable to all writers and fascinating to all readers.

Watch this space for further updates.

Graham Joyce
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:38:31 pm by Del Lakin-Smith »

Offline Paul Cornell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Second Update from Acting Chair Graham Joyce
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »
I'll be there, obviously.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
STOP PRESS! In the next journal best-selling Heroic Fantasy author James Barclay will launch a series of Masterclass articles with “How To Write a Fight!”  James, widely acclaimed for his expertise in the staging of combat scenes will distil for us some his knowledge and experience.  This series, exclusive to members of the BFS, will offer writing insights invaluable to all writers and fascinating to all readers.

nice  8)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »
STOP PRESS! In the next journal best-selling Heroic Fantasy author James Barclay will launch a series of Masterclass articles with “How To Write a Fight!”  James, widely acclaimed for his expertise in the staging of combat scenes will distil for us some his knowledge and experience.  This series, exclusive to members of the BFS, will offer writing insights invaluable to all writers and fascinating to all readers.

nice  8)

We've been looking at the idea of a print version of the Masterclasses since Fantasycon: they were so popular, we were really keen to bring a similar element to the Journal.

So pleased you guys like the idea, and we're incredibly excited that James has agreed to (pardon the pun) kick off for us!

Offline Grafire

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »
Emma
Conflict of interest?  Really?  Does it not occur to you that this was the decision of the entire BFS committee of which I am only one member, plus the other short-listed authors?  Does it not occur to you that I might actually be acting from motives that have nothing to do with whether I coveted what would have been my sixth Best Novel award had I won it? Has it not occurred to you that I would have been very happy for any three out of the other four shortlisted authors to have won the award?  No it wouldn't have occured to you.  Because small mindedness and spitefulness often projects pictures of itself onto other people's motivations.  I've been in the job of Acting Chair just a few days now and I'm already getting tired of having to listen to people who are not even members of this Society sniping from the touchlines, stroking the shit and appointing themselves as commentators when they haven't even earned their stripes in this genre community.  As for hiding behind poverty as an excuse for not joining the Society you love to advise so frequently, well that's the just cheap. 

Offline Grafire

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:11 pm »

Just to be clear David Howe contacted me earlier to say that Sam Stone wanted to keep the Short Story Award, which is fine and which is the clarification I was asking for.  Sam Stone gave back the Novel award, not the Short Story Award.
Just to clarify further, Grafire is Graham Joyce.

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:42 pm »
Will there be postal/online voting for those of us who can't afford to travel/stay overnight in London for an EGM?

Offline disrepdog

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:49 am »
Debbie exactly what I was going to ask. I can't make the EGM, but recently rejoined with the intent of at least voting on things.

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:39:09 am »
Debbie exactly what I was going to ask. I can't make the EGM, but recently rejoined with the intent of at least voting on things.

That's what I was wondering too; http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3081.0
I'm sure something will be sorted out.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
On the subject of poverty... I too have a £400 a month income, and yes, paying my sub meant a tighter budget for a while, but I'll be doing the same for 2012 as well as trying to raise the cash to get to FantasyCon as well.