Author Topic: Shelflings  (Read 16941 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Shelflings
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »
Yes, it's working fine. Excellent - thanks.

Peter, .epub and .mobi files are like any other computer files - if you don't have the right software for opening them, but try to, your computer or browser will do their best. And you'll sometimes get problems if in the past file types have been associated with the wrong program. Best thing is to right click and download the files to your computer rather than left-clicking and trying to open them.

If you don't have an ereader but do want to have a look, you could look at the mobi version using Kindle Desktop, or the epub version using Adobe Digital Editions.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
Yes, it's working fine. Excellent - thanks.

Peter, .epub and .mobi files are like any other computer files - if you don't have the right software for opening them, but try to, your computer or browser will do their best. And you'll sometimes get problems if in the past file types have been associated with the wrong program. Best thing is to right click and download the files to your computer rather than left-clicking and trying to open them.

If you don't have an ereader but do want to have a look, you could look at the mobi version using Kindle Desktop, or the epub version using Adobe Digital Editions.

Downloaded my copy of Shelfings onto my kindle without any problems. Looks excellent.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
Thanks, David. Next issue will be even better, because the reviews in each section will be arranged alphabetically. Yeah, baby!

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »

There's also a Firefox extension, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/epubreader/, which allows you to open & read epub files in the browser. I had this installed ages before I got the Kindle for PC, or my kindle. The only downside is, once you have it installed, you have to remember to do the right-click/save thing on epub files, or it just opens them in Firefox.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
Hi chums!

The draft version of Shelflings #2 is ready, and reviewers should hear from your mighty team leaders shortly with a download link, so that you can make sure I haven't mangled your work too badly before we make it available more generally to members.

If you want to have a look but don't get an email (for instance if you've left the review team since the review appeared, or the review was a one-off, or you're just a member who'd like to give it an extra proofread out of the goodness of your heart), email or PM me and I'll send you the link.

Almost 30,000 words in this issue!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention in my email to the review editors: I've added hyperlinks in some places to the names of publishers and reviewers, mostly using a macro. If you're a reviewer and you'd like your name to link to your website, blog, twitter feed, or anything like that, let me know and I'll add it to my macro for next time.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
Issue two of Shelflings is now finished and handed over to the BFS for distribution! Here's some information about it:

SHELFLINGS #2 has been compiled by Stephen Theaker from reviews edited by Craig Lockley, Phil Lunt and Jay Eales for the British Fantasy Society website. It features almost 30,000 words of reviews by Carl Barker, Chris Limb, Craig Knight, David A. Riley, David Brzeski, David Rudden, Elloise Hopkins, Glen Mehn, Jacob Howard, Jay Eales, Katy O’Dowd, M.P. Ericson, Mario Guslandi, Matthew Johns, Mike Chinn, Pauline Morgan, Phil Lunt, R.A. Bardy, Rebekah Lunt, Selina Lock, Steve Dean and Stewart Horn.

Creators and editors whose work is reviewed include: Adrian L. Youseman, Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill, Alex Miles, Alison Littlewood, Andy Chambers, Anne Lyle, Anthony Reynolds, Armand Rosamilia, Ben Counter, Bev Allen, Brian-Joseph Baker, Joshua D. Brice, Dillon Langlands and John Bromley, Charlaine Harris, Chris F. Holm, Chris Wraight, Christopher Priest, Courtney Taylor-Taylor and Jim Rugg, Dan Abnett, David A. Sutton, David Elroy Goldweber, David Rix, Deborah Harkness, Frances Hardinge, Garth Ennis and Jacen Burrows, Gary Fry, Graham McNeill, Howard Hopkins, James Brogden, Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee, Jilly Paddock, Jim Beard, John Charles Scott, John Dorney, Jonathan Morris, Joseph Nassise, Justin Gustainis, Kim Lakin-Smith, Lee Batters, Madeline Ash, Magnus Aspli, Dave Acosta, Jeremy P Roberts, Goran Kostadinoski and Alex De-Gruchy, Mark C. Scioneaux, R.J. Cavender, Robert S. Wilson, Matthew Clements, Maynard Sims, Michael Croteau, Nancy Kilpatrick, Nick Kyme and Gav Thorpe, Paul Dini, Carlos D’Anda and others, Paul Magrs, Paul S. Kemp, Peter Bell, Phil and Kaja Foglio, Reggie Oliver, Richard Davis, Richard Ford, Richard Morgan, Rob Sanders, Sarah Newton, Scott Sigler, Shaun Jeffrey, Simon D. Smith, Simon Yates, Terrance Dicks, Trevor Jones and Liz Williams, and William King.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:40:19 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I would have checked it through & reported on any problems in my reviews, but I'm still waiting for the email with the download link, which never came. Guess I'll just have to trust that there weren't any this time.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
I'd thought everyone was a bit quiet! Sorry about that. Maybe the relevant person was on their hols, or I went into their spam folder... There's always that risk, hence the note above that reviewers should email me for a download link if they didn't hear anything. If it happens again, just drop me a line and I'll email a copy directly!

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
I did email the link to all the reviewers on the mailing list, some of which replied happy with the content. I'll check to see you are still on the list Dave.
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Thanks, Craig!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Thinking about it, I'll ask Neil to add me back to the reviewers group on the forums - that way I can pop the links to the draft versions in there too.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 02:00:28 AM »
I have it & have checked through it now. No problems with my reviews, excepting a typo ("ready", instead of "read") in the review for 'The Worlds of Philip José Farner vol 1:Protean Dimensions, which is in the website version & had amazingly passed unnoticed until now (otherwise I'd have got Craig to correct it. He knows how fussy I am. LOL)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »
Ah, how annoying! Sorry I missed it.

Offline welcome1

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
Sounds good, but what about  the journel?, has been  discountenued? with my member ship running out, i'm begining  to wonder is it worth renewing becase i'll be paying 35.00  pounds  for stuff on the screen.  I know you have to move on like my farther said, never look back and to a point he's right.Can i ask  will  you be publishing [ money  permitting] a print book collection  at say the end of the year, just asking ???http://