Author Topic: AGM?  (Read 7993 times)

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
AGM?
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Random question - but does the BFS AGM take place at FantasyCon?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: AGM?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
Yes, usually on Sunday morning.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
They've allowed two hours for it this year (10 am to noon), so should be a good one!

(Updated time below.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:00:50 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »
Just noticed, thanks to Martin's email out about Shelflings and the AGM, that the AGM this year is now going to start at 9.30am.

Really will be an epic..!

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
Can we bring our breakfast in with us?
On recent experience, even with two and a half hours allocated, we will probably still run over time.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
Don't get my hopes up, Allen!

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
I think you're looking forward to the AGM more than any other part of FCon, aren't you Stephen?  :D

Anyway, for any member who hasn't got the email they sent out yesterday, here's the info copied from that email - and don't forget only BFS members can attend the AGM:

Please note that the Annual General Meeting for the British Fantasy Society is at 9.30am on Sunday September 30th.

We will be asking for volunteers to serve on the BFS committee for the next year.

Roles to be filled are:

Chair
Membership Secretary
BFS Journal Editor
Fiction Editor
Features Editor
Web Administrator
Stockholder
Events Organiser
Treasurer
Publicity
Awards Administrator

Remember - the British Fantasy Society is a volunteer organisation, and cannot survive without volunteers. Please consider standing for one of the roles - you'll need someone to nominate you, and someone to second, but that is never usually a problem. If you can't make it to the AGM, please ask someone to nominate you in your absence.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
They're the reason I started going... and I've grown to love them. Great theatre. It's like the Roman senate once they get going. I've really proud of having got two proposals past them.

Martin's email gave me a fright for a moment, making me think the whole committee had resigned en masse, but it seems to be just the usual thing of them stepping down to be reappointed if no one else stands against them. I haven't heard about anyone resigning.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »
Martin's email gave me a fright for a moment, making me think the whole committee had resigned en masse, but it seems to be just the usual thing of them stepping down to be reappointed if no one else stands against them. I haven't heard about anyone resigning.

Tee-hee, me too! But, no, I think it's just standard procedure. I haven't heard anything either.  ;)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Standard procedure, except for the publication editors and web admin - they're left out of the standing down and re-electing (4.3 of the constitution).

While checking that I noticed under 5.2 that editors of publications are supposed to give a progress report! I thought I'd be free of all that, not being on the committee. I doubt they'll need me to say anything, but I'll write a sentence to sum it up on the train tomorrow just in case....

"Shelflings is your new god!"

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
 :D
Enjoy yourself at the AGM, Stephen (and the rest of the weekend)!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »
:D
Enjoy yourself at the AGM, Stephen (and the rest of the weekend)!

Seconded. And everybody else at the convention.
des
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »
Yeah, it was fun!

Minutes were being taken, but in brief:

Marion Pitman offered apologies for getting into a fix with membership management this year, and stood down. Helen Hopley volunteered to replace her.

Lizzie Barrett stood down as publicity officer, no one volunteered to replace her.

Sarah Ann Watts stood down as awards admin, I returned to the post.

The BFS is planning to publish two invite-only hardback anthologies of fiction exclusively for members over the next year, one horror edited by Johnny Mains, one fantasy by Juliet McKenna. Authors will be paid a flat, nominal fee, no royalties.

No accounts were ready, and the treasurer wasn't present. There had been problems accessing the BFS bank account. A short EGM will be held at the next open night to present the accounts, which are also intended to appear in the December journal. The special publications bank account still exists, but has a zero balance.

FantasyCon 2011 made a good profit, half of which as agreed came to the BFS and has been paid into the FantasyCon account, which is looking very healthy in readiness for FantasyCon 2014.

80 entries in the BFS short story competition this year. Allen agreed to run it again next year.

The BFS Journal would have been out last week but was held up by a query over a low res image. The journal is now being sent out directly to members by the printers, and the additional costs of that were said to be minimal. (And the time savings for committee members considerable.) Submission guidelines for the journal would be going up within a week or so.

No FantasyCon next year, but the BFS Awards will be presented at World Fantasy Con.

We currently have 372 paying members, which was said to be an increase in membership because the figure of 450 given at the EGM last year included freebies.

The best novel category at the awards was split into two entirely separate categories for best horror and best fantasy, following Ramsey Campbell's proposal.

Allen Ashley proposed that an eligibility list be provided for members, but decided not to put it to the vote yet while we chat about the practicalities of it.

There were other interesting ideas and discussions, but these are the things I noted down.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:48:40 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline desktopdespot

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
Thanks Stephen -- this was really helpful as I only stayed for the first 30 minutes before ducking out to attend the 10am panel. (I was the newbie sticking his hand up to offer some feedback -- hope I didn't come across as a whinger, but felt that in the spirit of sincere feedback I might be able to offer some constructive comments)

Delighted to have joined the BFS . . . looking for ways to be a little more involved. Any thoughts folks?