Author Topic: FantasyCon 2014 - will other people be confused too ?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
FantasyCon 2014 - will other people be confused too ?
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:55:27 am »
okay saw this vid whilst rummaging through YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCK-cwoK_U

personally, I think it looks like one of the nine hells - you know the one with the great sprawling gift shop and crocodiles of disgruntled children press-ganged into queuing at cash registers - but I'm sure some folks will think, "WOW that's like so AWESOME" and feel compelled to use some new fangled iThingy technology to text long strings of exclamation marks and three greater-than smilies to all their chums.

There may even be emoticons.

so my concern is this - is it not confusing for prospective attendees when 2 different organisations calling themselves FantasyCon 2014 are using the same internet ?
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: FantasyCon 2014 - will other people be confused too ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:33:51 pm »
Oh god, that video is awful -- soppy fantasy.

But seriously, this is something that the BFS committee must deal with immediately. This clash of names happened many years ago and we told them no way (wish I could remember the details).

The question of trade marking the term was discussed some time ago. What was the outcome?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:46:26 pm »
Why have they called it Fantasycon when it isn't a convention? That doesn't make sense.

I agree, Peter. Nothing about that video attracts me. Far from it!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:06:12 pm »
I'd seen a couple of tweets about it - this is the event I mentioned in the FantasyCon 2014 thread the other day - but hadn't seen the video before. Definite potential to confuse, but from what I understand not a great deal the FantasyCon 2014 committee will be able to do about it, beyond a polite letter.

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:51:56 pm »
I seem to be locked out of the FantasyCon group (deep irony there...) and unable to post - or I'd be asking about FantasyCon 2014. If it's likely to come up at the AGM this year - then when/where is the AGM this year? Is it a part of WorldCon? Can non-con people attend? Have people received notification and details about committee posts etc?

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »
I seem to be locked out of the FantasyCon group (deep irony there...) and unable to post - or I'd be asking about FantasyCon 2014. If it's likely to come up at the AGM this year - then when/where is the AGM this year? Is it a part of WorldCon? Can non-con people attend? Have people received notification and details about committee posts etc?

Debbie, sometimes you get quicker responses if you post on Facebook and link in committee names. No one on the committee other than Stephen T (are you on the committee, Stephen?) seems to visit these boards. Sadly.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:23:39 am »
I am on the BFS committee, as awards administrator. If I notice that a query has gone unanswered for a while I'll pass it on, but I'm not taking on a community manager role. (These days I'm more likely to be the one who needs managing!) I think what'll I do in future, rather than emailing particular people when questions come up here or on Facebook or Twitter, is just have one ongoing committee email thread about queries, so it's more impersonal. (I'll pass yours on, Debbie.)

For my part, I like questions being asked on the forum. For questions particular to one member (has my membership ended?) an email is best, but for asking and answering questions of general interest about the society the forum is ideal. Our occasional grumpiness here is nothing compared to many other forums! But it's been the same ever since I joined the society: the committee members who come on the forums have nearly always been the people who were forum regulars anyway.

Offline LeeH

• BFS Committee
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • BFS
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »
Hmmm.

They link to their Facebook page, which is still facebook.com/fantasycon2013 - so I've just registered facebook.com/fantasycon2014.

As for trademarking - without having actually registered the trademark (which is an expense we would never be able to afford) we have little protection. The event is US-based, so is unlikely to affect ours, but I will drop them a line and ask them to rename their event (unlikely) and follow up with a request to indicate clearly that they are not affiliated to the BFS or to our long-running convention.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:28:40 pm by LeeH »
--------
FantasyCon 2014 Co-Chair