Author Topic: AGM 2013  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
AGM 2013
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
I've written a bit here about the awards part of the AGM, but here's the more general information, from the most recent BFS email newsletter:

"AGM: To be held in the Chartwell Room in the Hilton Brighton Metropole on Saturday 2nd November from 10.00am-Noon.

All BFS members are welcome (and encouraged) to attend.

As well as discussing the previous year, and presenting the usual reports, a new Committee will be voted in.

The committee posts available are:

Stock Holder
British Fantasy Awards Administrator
Publicity Officer / Events
Treasurer
Secretary
Chair
President

If you have an interest in standing for any of the roles, please attend the AGM, where you will need to be nominated and seconded, before a vote is called. If you wish to stand for a post, but are unable to attend this year's AGM, please send an email to chair@britishfantasysociety.org indicating your interest.

Please note that the incumbents of the roles of Events, Treasurer, Secretary and Chair will not be standing for re-election, though the current Chair - Lee Harris - has indicated that he will stand for one more year if there are no others wishing to take on the role."

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: AGM 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:21 am »
A quick update on developments at yesterday’s BFS AGM. As usual, full minutes were being taken, but here are the headlines:

James Barclay was voted in as President, unopposed. There was a round of applause and a bottle of wine for Ramsey Campbell, who stepped down earlier this year. Ramsey had previously been voted President for Life; the post now returns to being up for election every year.

Mark Barrowcliffe (who also writes under the name M.D. Lachlan, but he’ll be using his own name in the post) was voted in as Chair, unopposed. Lee Harris stood down.

Lee Harris was voted in as the new Treasurer, unopposed. Amanda Rutter stood down.

Helen Hopley stood down as Membership Secretary. No one stood to replace her and the post remains vacant. Lee Harris will perform the necessary duties until a replacement is found.

I was voted back in as Awards Administrator, unopposed.

The post of publicity officer remains vacant.

Richard Webb was voted in as the new Events Organiser, unopposed. Martin Roberts stood down (and was presented with a bottle of wine).

Christopher Teague was voted back in as Stockholder, unopposed.

The post of Journal Editor has been open ever since Cav Scott resigned, but Lee has found a likely candidate. He didn’t want to appoint someone a few days before stepping down, but he will introduce the candidate to the new chair and the post will probably be filled this week.

I proposed two changes to the awards, both of which passed.

The phrase “*Special jury to be appointed by PS Publishing.” will be deleted from the constitution, at PS Publishing’s request.

The Best Screenplay award is now retitled Best Film/Television Episode. It is still awarded to the writer.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »
Is it possible to state the exact number of members attending this AGM?
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »
I'm not sure - people were coming and going, and I had my head down in my notes. I'd guess between 15-25 people showed their faces, but I could be wrong. It wasn't one of the AGMs where everyone turns up with pitchforks in hand.

For an exact number, I'd guess you need to wait for the minutes, which were taken by Helen, who is no longer in the post of secretary, so we'll have them when she has time to type them up, but I can't guarantee that the minutes will contain the number that you are after.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:59:34 pm »
Thanks, Stephen. If the minutes don't turn up to be agreed, will the constitution allow the AGM decisions to stand, I wonder. Rhetorical question.:|
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:04:00 pm »
I don't see why not. The minutes are just a record of what was decided.