Author Topic: AGM 2014  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
AGM 2014
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
I've written elsewhere in detail about the awards part of the AGM, but here's some more general information about the meeting. The AGM is to be held in the The Royal York Hotel, York, YO24 1AA on Sunday, 7 September 2014 at 11.00am. All paid-up BFS members are welcome (and encouraged) to attend, whether or not you are also going to FantasyCon. FantasyCon attendees can attend the AGM, but cannot vote.

Unfortunately, the chair won’t be able to attend, due to a clash with a family event, nor will the web administrator, due to a long-standing commitment. Both plan to provide a report to the AGM, but if you were planning to ask either a question at the AGM it might be a good idea to send it to them in advance so that they can supply a prepared answer to the committee member chairing the meeting, to be read out when you ask your question. Sending questions in advance might also be a good idea if you plan to ask any other committee members questions that would be difficult to answer off-the-cuff, without ready access to our files.

As well as discussing the previous year, and presenting the usual reports, a new committee will be voted in. The elected committee posts are: stockholder, British Fantasy Awards administrator, publicity officer, events co-ordinator, treasurer, secretary, chair and president. If you have an interest in standing for election to any of the roles, please attend the AGM, where you will need to be nominated and seconded, before a vote is called. You must be a fully paid-up member of the BFS to stand. If you wish to stand for a post, but are unable to attend the AGM, please send an email to chair@britishfantasysociety.org indicating your interest. So far as I know, all incumbents are standing for re-election, while the post of Publicity Officer is currently vacant.

For the first time in years, an amendment to the BFS constitution has been proposed: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/fantasycon/agm-2014-proxy-voting-proposal/. My proposal would allow proxy voting at future AGMs, subject to certain restrictions. No other proposals to amend the BFS constitution have been received by the chair. (Or hadn't been yet, last time I checked.) If you would like to propose any other changes to the constitution, there isn't much time left to do it.

The current BFS constitution can be read here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/about-the-bfs/the-constitution-of-the-british-fantasy-society/

I'll update this post with any additional information that comes in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:13:59 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: AGM 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
I didn't take any notes this year, but here are some of the headlines from the AGM.

The proxy voting proposal of mine was passed. I will update the BFS constitution to add the new section in the next week or two.

Three awards proposals passed, one failed. More details here.

James Barclay was re-elected as president.

No one stood for chair. The position remains open.

James Dunn, an interim appointment by the chair, was elected as secretary.

Lee Harris was re-elected as treasurer.

Christopher Teague was re-elected as stockholder.

Phil Lunt was elected as publicity officer, on the understanding that he is too busy to do the job justice, but will help so far as he has time.

Stephen Theaker was re-elected as awards administrator.

FantasyCon 2015 will be chaired by Lee Harris, and will take place in Nottingham (though not at the Britannia).

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: AGM 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:27 AM »
Decided to get everything out of the way before going to bed (and then waking up to a four-month break from BFS work!): the online BFS constitution has now been updated to add section 5.4, which allows proxy voting, with certain restrictions. The updated constitution can be read here.